Skip to main content

The Road Trip of road trips


Travel magazines and web sites dedicated to travel often feature stories about road trips.  They often highlight road trips according to a person’s interests: road trips for foodies, road trips for music lovers, road trips for museums, road trips for outdoor enthusiasts.  Whatever your preference, short or long, pack your car, jump in, buckle up and head out.

So, what might your choice of road trips be?  Route 66?  Highway 101?  One of the Interstates?

There is a Highway described in the Bible that I would suggest is The Road Trip of road trips. It is also a rather unique highway.  It is “reserved for those authorized to use it” (New English Translation - NET).

Those not authorized, well, different versions of the Bible use different words but none are especially endearing:

Simple ones and fools (Amplified)
Wicked fools (NIV)
The unclean (NASB/NET)

So who then is authorized to us it (NET)?  Again, look at how other versions define that:

It shall be for the redeemed (Amplified)
It will be for those who walk in the Way (NIV)
For him that walks that way (NASB)

The editors and translators for the NET (New English Translation) note that those authorized are likely “…morally upright people who are the recipients of God’s deliverance”.

Since redemption and deliverance are closely related, I think that if there is a singular word for those authorized to use this Highway, I’d go with “redeemed”. 

This Highway is called the Highway of Holiness (Isa 35:8 NASB).  It is a highway built by God and traveled on only by the redeemed!

I think it is The Road Trip of road trips!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can't Get No Satisfaction

One of the songs that were popular in my youth was not particularly upbeat or helpful but it probably did express some of the angst of my generation.  It was not one that particularly resonated with me but as I recently read the book of Haggai, it did come to mind, well, at least some of the lyrics did.  It was the Rolling Stones song with the lyrics “I can’t get no satisfaction”.  Take a look at the chorus of that bleak song:   I can't get no satisfaction; I can't get no satisfaction; Gonna try and I try and I try and I try; I can't get no - I can't get no –   Now take a look at Haggai 1:6 – “ You have planted much, but harvested little. You eat, but never have enough. You drink, but never have your fill. You put on clothes, but are not warm. You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it.” It sure sounds like the people of Judah couldn’t get any satisfaction with the things of life that normally should have brought some type of s...

Hide Not...

Over the centuries, the words have brought great comfort and encouragement.   The words are often used as a benediction or a blessing:   The Lord bless you and keep you: The Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you: The Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace.   (Num 6:24-26)   What in the world is a countenance?  By definition, it is a person's face or facial expression. So if the Lord’s face shines upon us and if He lifts up His countenance upon us, what does all that mean? It means that He is giving us His attention.  But even more so, His face shining upon us gives us t he picture of a beaming face like that of a parent for their beloved child.  And the reference to Him lifting up His countenance points to God extending divine favor and peace to us. Sometimes we can appreciate things more by seeing opposites.  The opposite of a lifted face is a face that has fallen, perhaps because of sham...

The Fewer, the Better and the Simpler, the Better!

Sometimes, the fewer the words, the better…  Many would probably argue that the most important words in the English language, when strung altogether in the right order, are just three simple words.  And each of those three words is just a one syllable word.  So, not only the fewer the better but also, as a bonus, the simpler, the better! Oh, the three words…they are “I love you” – few, simple and altogether meaningful!      God used them to encourage His people, the people of Israel :  “You are priceless to me. I love you and honor you. So I will trade other people for you. I will give up other nations to save your lives.” (Isa 43:4) The significance of the words “I love you” is inestimable, especially when used in a way that communicates value and commitment And when you look at Jeremiah 31:3, you see a past tense of those words so that “I love you” is “I have loved you”.  But that’s not all that the verse says, the “I have loved y...