Skip to main content

Soaring With Broken Wings


Eagle Point Park is located above one of the lock and dams on the Mississippi River.  The park is well named.  The eagles majestically soar above the water and then swoop down to catch the fish in the waters near the lock and dam.

The prophet Isaiah wrote:  “Yet those who wait for the Lord will gain new strength; they will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary” (40:31). The opportunity of seeing an eagle soaring above the Mississippi really brings this passage to life. 

One summer day, as I was walking through our back ally, I spotted a very large crow hopping along ahead of me.  As I drew near, I expected it to take off in flight but it just hopped away.  As I kept walking, the crow kept hopping away to maintain a safe distance.  Finally, as I drew too near, the crow spread its wings but its left wing stuck out at a strange angle.  No wonder it was hopping; with a broken wing there was no way it was going to fly.

Consider both of these images and a line from the song Shout to the North:  “Rise up church with broken wings, fill this place with songs again…”

A crow might not be in the same category as a majestic bald eagle, but a crow with a broken wing certainly is a pitiful sight, especially when it can’t even get off the ground!  How then can the songwriter envision the church rising up with broken wings?

To put it on a more personal level, how could we individually rise up with wings as eagles?  After all, our mistakes, our failures, our inadequacies and our insecurities all typically add up to some serious wing damage, perhaps even broken ones!

The reality is, on our own, we really can’t soar with broken wings. Neither can the Church! But the songwriter gives us a glimpse of when soaring might be possible:  “Of our God who reigns on high, by His grace again we’ll fly.”

By grace again we’ll fly?  If anything can overcome or compensate for broken wings, it would be grace!  So we wait for the Lord and we look to His grace and somehow we are swept up in His thermals of grace and we soar again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can't Get No Satisfaction

One of the songs that were popular in my youth was not particularly upbeat or helpful but it probably did express some of the angst of my generation.  It was not one that particularly resonated with me but as I recently read the book of Haggai, it did come to mind, well, at least some of the lyrics did.  It was the Rolling Stones song with the lyrics “I can’t get no satisfaction”.  Take a look at the chorus of that bleak song:   I can't get no satisfaction; I can't get no satisfaction; Gonna try and I try and I try and I try; I can't get no - I can't get no –   Now take a look at Haggai 1:6 – “ You have planted much, but harvested little. You eat, but never have enough. You drink, but never have your fill. You put on clothes, but are not warm. You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it.” It sure sounds like the people of Judah couldn’t get any satisfaction with the things of life that normally should have brought some type of s...

Hide Not...

Over the centuries, the words have brought great comfort and encouragement.   The words are often used as a benediction or a blessing:   The Lord bless you and keep you: The Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you: The Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace.   (Num 6:24-26)   What in the world is a countenance?  By definition, it is a person's face or facial expression. So if the Lord’s face shines upon us and if He lifts up His countenance upon us, what does all that mean? It means that He is giving us His attention.  But even more so, His face shining upon us gives us t he picture of a beaming face like that of a parent for their beloved child.  And the reference to Him lifting up His countenance points to God extending divine favor and peace to us. Sometimes we can appreciate things more by seeing opposites.  The opposite of a lifted face is a face that has fallen, perhaps because of sham...

The Fewer, the Better and the Simpler, the Better!

Sometimes, the fewer the words, the better…  Many would probably argue that the most important words in the English language, when strung altogether in the right order, are just three simple words.  And each of those three words is just a one syllable word.  So, not only the fewer the better but also, as a bonus, the simpler, the better! Oh, the three words…they are “I love you” – few, simple and altogether meaningful!      God used them to encourage His people, the people of Israel :  “You are priceless to me. I love you and honor you. So I will trade other people for you. I will give up other nations to save your lives.” (Isa 43:4) The significance of the words “I love you” is inestimable, especially when used in a way that communicates value and commitment And when you look at Jeremiah 31:3, you see a past tense of those words so that “I love you” is “I have loved you”.  But that’s not all that the verse says, the “I have loved y...