Skip to main content

Dredging Up Some Sludge


Cheryl and I were recently asked to do some pre-marital counseling for a young couple we know.  We were honored that they would consider us a resource for the important preparations for their upcoming marriage.  We also admit to feeling very inadequate.

As we met with them for the first time, we tried to be honest and transparent.  But, in being honest and transparent, it started dredging up some sludge.  What?

By definition, sludge is a deposit of ooze at the bottom of a body of water.

Also, by definition, to dredge is to remove ooze from the bottom of a body of water.

Like sludge that has built up over time at the bottom of a dark, murky body of water, the memories of our mistakes, our failures and our regrets are often out of sight and mostly, but not entirely, out of mind. Then something happens or something is said and the sludge gets dredged up.  In this case, our honesty and transparency started the dredging.

But wait, you might say, 1 John 1:9 tells us that we can be cleansed from our sins. 

But wait, you might say, Romans 4:7 indicates that those whose transgressions are forgiven and whose sins are covered are blessed.

But wait, you might say, Psalm 103:12 states that He removes our transgressions from us as far as the east is from the west.

Yes, yes and yes!

So what gives?  Why does the sludge get dredged up?  The reality is, as humans, we are not very capable of entirely forgetting.

But there is One who entirely forgets.  It’s not that He is forgetful, He isn’t.  He simply chooses to not remember!  “For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.”  (Jeremiah 31:34).

As we interacted with this couple and later considered our time with them, I began to realize, prompted by some invaluable insights from my wife, that what gets dredged up can have a purpose.  Even though I might prefer to remember it no more, the sludge can remind me that I am forgiven.  The sludge can also be used as a platform to minister to others, in this case in the context of pre-marital counseling.

The book of 2 Corinthians holds a principle that seems to validate this: God comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God (1:3-4).

As we walk through life and experience His mercy, grace and forgiveness, we sometimes then have a platform to share those very things that we have received from God! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can't Get No Satisfaction

One of the songs that were popular in my youth was not particularly upbeat or helpful but it probably did express some of the angst of my generation.  It was not one that particularly resonated with me but as I recently read the book of Haggai, it did come to mind, well, at least some of the lyrics did.  It was the Rolling Stones song with the lyrics “I can’t get no satisfaction”.  Take a look at the chorus of that bleak song:   I can't get no satisfaction; I can't get no satisfaction; Gonna try and I try and I try and I try; I can't get no - I can't get no –   Now take a look at Haggai 1:6 – “ You have planted much, but harvested little. You eat, but never have enough. You drink, but never have your fill. You put on clothes, but are not warm. You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it.” It sure sounds like the people of Judah couldn’t get any satisfaction with the things of life that normally should have brought some type of s...

Hide Not...

Over the centuries, the words have brought great comfort and encouragement.   The words are often used as a benediction or a blessing:   The Lord bless you and keep you: The Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you: The Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace.   (Num 6:24-26)   What in the world is a countenance?  By definition, it is a person's face or facial expression. So if the Lord’s face shines upon us and if He lifts up His countenance upon us, what does all that mean? It means that He is giving us His attention.  But even more so, His face shining upon us gives us t he picture of a beaming face like that of a parent for their beloved child.  And the reference to Him lifting up His countenance points to God extending divine favor and peace to us. Sometimes we can appreciate things more by seeing opposites.  The opposite of a lifted face is a face that has fallen, perhaps because of sham...

The Fewer, the Better and the Simpler, the Better!

Sometimes, the fewer the words, the better…  Many would probably argue that the most important words in the English language, when strung altogether in the right order, are just three simple words.  And each of those three words is just a one syllable word.  So, not only the fewer the better but also, as a bonus, the simpler, the better! Oh, the three words…they are “I love you” – few, simple and altogether meaningful!      God used them to encourage His people, the people of Israel :  “You are priceless to me. I love you and honor you. So I will trade other people for you. I will give up other nations to save your lives.” (Isa 43:4) The significance of the words “I love you” is inestimable, especially when used in a way that communicates value and commitment And when you look at Jeremiah 31:3, you see a past tense of those words so that “I love you” is “I have loved you”.  But that’s not all that the verse says, the “I have loved y...