Skip to main content

The Attacks Hit Home!


I recently read the book of Job.  This time around, I didn’t dwell on why God allowed things to happen to Job but I focused more on what happened.  That is, I didn’t really concern myself about why Satan was allowed to do the things he did to Job, but I became concerned as I considered what he did do to Job.  More on that in a moment…

As a reminder of how this Old Testament book starts out, when we are introduced to Job, we find that he was a righteous man and feared God.  As the account goes, Satan asked God for permission to do some things to Job in an effort to get Job to curse God.  Spoiler alert: it didn’t’ work.  But what Satan did to Job was strategically targeted and it greatly impacted Job’s life. 

The first attack against Job was to strip him of almost everything he had.  Satan’s argument was that God had blessed job with wealth and possession and if he were to lose those, Job would curse God (Job 1:6-11).  So, at the hand of Satan, Job lost essentially everything. Yet, and this is so significant, the account records this:  “In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing.” (Job 1:22)

The second attack against Job was to significantly degrade Job’s physical health.  Satan’s argument was that if Job’s health were to suffer, he would curse God (Job 2:1-5).  So, at the hand of Satan, Job was afflicted with painful sores from the soles of his feet to the top of his head.  Yet, Job’s response to this suffering was so incredible:  “…In all this, Job did not sin in what he said.” (Job 2:10b)

These days, with the COVID-19 pandemic, I am finding those same two areas that Job faced to be strikingly familiar.  Not that I have suffered so deeply and intensely but:

I may not have a lot in terms of wealth and possessions as Job did but as I’ve watched my retirement account take some major hits, I’m realizing that I may have placed too much hope in what I thought would be secure retirement income.

Regarding health, I have not had painful sores but I am in one of the categories of high risk for COVID-19.  While I have not contracted it, I have been experiencing the fear of contracting it.  And such fears, at times, have almost been overwhelming and debilitating.

While I quoted some portions of the Scriptures in regard to Job’s responses to his circumstances, I didn’t give a fuller picture.  After the first attack, Job fell to the ground in worship and said:  “The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised.” (Job 1:21).  After the second attack, even when Job’s wife suggested he just curse God and die, Job replied: “Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?”  (Job 2:10)

Some aspects of COVID-19 have hit home with me, more so than I would care to admit.  But, after reading through the book of Job and being challenged to follow Job’s example, I’m praying that I will be able to respond in a way that demonstrates a secure trust in the goodness, faithfulness and love of our God!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can't Get No Satisfaction

One of the songs that were popular in my youth was not particularly upbeat or helpful but it probably did express some of the angst of my generation.  It was not one that particularly resonated with me but as I recently read the book of Haggai, it did come to mind, well, at least some of the lyrics did.  It was the Rolling Stones song with the lyrics “I can’t get no satisfaction”.  Take a look at the chorus of that bleak song:   I can't get no satisfaction; I can't get no satisfaction; Gonna try and I try and I try and I try; I can't get no - I can't get no –   Now take a look at Haggai 1:6 – “ You have planted much, but harvested little. You eat, but never have enough. You drink, but never have your fill. You put on clothes, but are not warm. You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it.” It sure sounds like the people of Judah couldn’t get any satisfaction with the things of life that normally should have brought some type of s...

Hide Not...

Over the centuries, the words have brought great comfort and encouragement.   The words are often used as a benediction or a blessing:   The Lord bless you and keep you: The Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you: The Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace.   (Num 6:24-26)   What in the world is a countenance?  By definition, it is a person's face or facial expression. So if the Lord’s face shines upon us and if He lifts up His countenance upon us, what does all that mean? It means that He is giving us His attention.  But even more so, His face shining upon us gives us t he picture of a beaming face like that of a parent for their beloved child.  And the reference to Him lifting up His countenance points to God extending divine favor and peace to us. Sometimes we can appreciate things more by seeing opposites.  The opposite of a lifted face is a face that has fallen, perhaps because of sham...

Stouthearted!

Steve the Stouthearted; it has a nice medieval ring to it, maybe even middle earth overtones.  I noticed that word “stouthearted” recently in Psalm 138, verse 3:   “When I called, you answered me; you made me bold and stouthearted.”   (NIV, 1973) The word stouthearted is used in the Bible to describe individuals who exhibit courage, determination, and resilience, often in the face of adversity or opposition. This characteristic is seen as a virtue, reflecting steadfastness in faith and purpose. The stouthearted are those who remain firm in their convictions and are not easily swayed by fear or doubt (from The Bible Hub website). And yet to be bold and stouthearted for most is not something that just comes naturally, we need the Lord to make us bold and stouthearted.   And, from the verse above, it appears that he does so in response to us calling on him.   So it probably wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to say that those who have been made bold and stouth...