Skip to main content

Take Pleasure


I’ve been considering a possible difference in meaning between “take pleasure in” and “take pleasure from”.  Life might not exactly hang in the balance but I think there could be some problems if we don’t live out the difference appropriately!  So, walk with me through some definitions to see if we can make some sense of this:

Take - lay hold of, obtain, gain or acquire, remove;

Pleasure - a state of gratification, a source of delight or joy;

In - it is often used as a function word to indicate inclusion, incorporation or purpose;

From - it is often used as a function word to indicate a source, a starting point, a focal point or an act of removal.

From what I can gather, in many ways, “in” and “from” are often used interchangeably.  But, there can be some differences depending on use and context.  For example:

"He took pleasure in dancing in the rain." - the pleasure is in the action/event.

"He took pleasure from dancing in the rain." - the pleasure is extracted from the action/event.

Actions or events are not the only way we find pleasure.  So, to broaden this to include relationships:

“He took pleasure in his relationship with…” – the pleasure is in the relationship.

“He took pleasure from his relationship with…” – the pleasure is extracted from the relationship.

Again, it appears that “in” and “from” can be used interchangeably.  But, there can be a difference and it is likely based on our perspective on relationships or our approach to them.

Since the use of “from” can indicate an act of removal or extraction, it seems then that taking pleasure from a relationship could include a selfish element to it.  That is, when pleasure is obtained by removing or extracting from another, then it is quite possible that it was done at the expense of another and thus was likely selfish.

As I’ve pondered the “in” and the “from” in terms of how God describes His relationship with us, I’m thinking that God goes with the “in”:

“But the Lord takes pleasure in those who fear him, in those who hope in his steadfast love.” (Ps 147:11)

“For the Lord takes pleasure in his people; he adorns the humble with salvation.”  (Ps 149:4)

Of course, both verses use “in” and that could certainly prove that my premise is true but the context seems to indicate that God is not selfishly extracting something from us at our expense.  It appears that He simply enjoys having a relationship with us!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can't Get No Satisfaction

One of the songs that were popular in my youth was not particularly upbeat or helpful but it probably did express some of the angst of my generation.  It was not one that particularly resonated with me but as I recently read the book of Haggai, it did come to mind, well, at least some of the lyrics did.  It was the Rolling Stones song with the lyrics “I can’t get no satisfaction”.  Take a look at the chorus of that bleak song:   I can't get no satisfaction; I can't get no satisfaction; Gonna try and I try and I try and I try; I can't get no - I can't get no –   Now take a look at Haggai 1:6 – “ You have planted much, but harvested little. You eat, but never have enough. You drink, but never have your fill. You put on clothes, but are not warm. You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it.” It sure sounds like the people of Judah couldn’t get any satisfaction with the things of life that normally should have brought some type of s...

Hide Not...

Over the centuries, the words have brought great comfort and encouragement.   The words are often used as a benediction or a blessing:   The Lord bless you and keep you: The Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you: The Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace.   (Num 6:24-26)   What in the world is a countenance?  By definition, it is a person's face or facial expression. So if the Lord’s face shines upon us and if He lifts up His countenance upon us, what does all that mean? It means that He is giving us His attention.  But even more so, His face shining upon us gives us t he picture of a beaming face like that of a parent for their beloved child.  And the reference to Him lifting up His countenance points to God extending divine favor and peace to us. Sometimes we can appreciate things more by seeing opposites.  The opposite of a lifted face is a face that has fallen, perhaps because of sham...

Stouthearted!

Steve the Stouthearted; it has a nice medieval ring to it, maybe even middle earth overtones.  I noticed that word “stouthearted” recently in Psalm 138, verse 3:   “When I called, you answered me; you made me bold and stouthearted.”   (NIV, 1973) The word stouthearted is used in the Bible to describe individuals who exhibit courage, determination, and resilience, often in the face of adversity or opposition. This characteristic is seen as a virtue, reflecting steadfastness in faith and purpose. The stouthearted are those who remain firm in their convictions and are not easily swayed by fear or doubt (from The Bible Hub website). And yet to be bold and stouthearted for most is not something that just comes naturally, we need the Lord to make us bold and stouthearted.   And, from the verse above, it appears that he does so in response to us calling on him.   So it probably wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to say that those who have been made bold and stouth...