Skip to main content

Abide, My Soul In...

Sometimes a phrase in a verse can really grab my attention.  But, beyond being an attention grabber, sometimes the phrase can take on a whole new level of importance, even to the point of being critical for life itself.

A phrase that recently did all that is “my soul shall abide in well being.”  This phrase is part of a verse from Psalm 25:  “His soul shall abide in well-being, and his offspring shall inherit the land.”  (v 13)

The context for those whose soul shall abide in well-being is very interesting.  From verses 1-12, it appears that there might be some prerequisites or conditions for a person to be able to abide (or dwell) in well-being.  Such seems to include being a person:

  • who lifts up their soul to God;
  • who trusts in God;
  • who waits on God;
  • who seeks to know God’s ways;
  • who is led by God;
  • who has their sins remembered no more;
  • who is humble;
  • who keeps the Lord’s covenant and testimonies;
  • who has their guilt pardoned;
  • who fears the Lord;
  • who receives instruction from the Lord.

 

This wonderful concept of well-being is not isolated to Psalm 25.  Take a look at the following:

Psalm 16:2 – “I say to the Lord, “’You are the Lord, my only source of well-being.’”  The only true, effective and lasting source of our well-being is God Himself.

Psalm 126:4 – “O Lord, restore our well-being, just as the streams in the arid south are replenished.”  When our well-being fades or disappears, the Lord is the one who can restore it.

Isaiah 45:7 – “I form light and create darkness; I make well-being and create calamity; I am the Lord, who does all these things.”  The only One who can make the kind of well-being that we need is the Lord Himself and His ability to do so is substantiated by the fact that He formed light and darkness.

Our ever reliable source of well-being is God Himself.  When our well-being slips or declines, He is the one who restores it.  Our well-being doesn’t just happen and it seems to require some level of participation on our behalf.  That participation includes being people who have humble and teachable attitudes and who look to Him and trust Him.  We also need to be people who have had our sins dealt with and he has dealt with our sins through the sacrifice of His Son on the cross, something we must believe and trust in.

The well-being of my soul is certainly worth making every effort to look to the one and only source of well-being, God Himself.  It is also very much worth my participation by becoming all that I should be in so that I can enter into that state of well-being.

It is, by far, the best state to dwell in!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can't Get No Satisfaction

One of the songs that were popular in my youth was not particularly upbeat or helpful but it probably did express some of the angst of my generation.  It was not one that particularly resonated with me but as I recently read the book of Haggai, it did come to mind, well, at least some of the lyrics did.  It was the Rolling Stones song with the lyrics “I can’t get no satisfaction”.  Take a look at the chorus of that bleak song:   I can't get no satisfaction; I can't get no satisfaction; Gonna try and I try and I try and I try; I can't get no - I can't get no –   Now take a look at Haggai 1:6 – “ You have planted much, but harvested little. You eat, but never have enough. You drink, but never have your fill. You put on clothes, but are not warm. You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it.” It sure sounds like the people of Judah couldn’t get any satisfaction with the things of life that normally should have brought some type of s...

Hide Not...

Over the centuries, the words have brought great comfort and encouragement.   The words are often used as a benediction or a blessing:   The Lord bless you and keep you: The Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you: The Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace.   (Num 6:24-26)   What in the world is a countenance?  By definition, it is a person's face or facial expression. So if the Lord’s face shines upon us and if He lifts up His countenance upon us, what does all that mean? It means that He is giving us His attention.  But even more so, His face shining upon us gives us t he picture of a beaming face like that of a parent for their beloved child.  And the reference to Him lifting up His countenance points to God extending divine favor and peace to us. Sometimes we can appreciate things more by seeing opposites.  The opposite of a lifted face is a face that has fallen, perhaps because of sham...

The Fewer, the Better and the Simpler, the Better!

Sometimes, the fewer the words, the better…  Many would probably argue that the most important words in the English language, when strung altogether in the right order, are just three simple words.  And each of those three words is just a one syllable word.  So, not only the fewer the better but also, as a bonus, the simpler, the better! Oh, the three words…they are “I love you” – few, simple and altogether meaningful!      God used them to encourage His people, the people of Israel :  “You are priceless to me. I love you and honor you. So I will trade other people for you. I will give up other nations to save your lives.” (Isa 43:4) The significance of the words “I love you” is inestimable, especially when used in a way that communicates value and commitment And when you look at Jeremiah 31:3, you see a past tense of those words so that “I love you” is “I have loved you”.  But that’s not all that the verse says, the “I have loved y...