Skip to main content

Alignment!

Many of us cherish Jeremiah 29:11 - “I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord. They are plans for peace and not disaster, plans to give you a future filled with hope.”

It’s so encouraging to know that God has plans for us.  I would also fold the word “purposes” into that, as in that God has purposes for our lives.

But what I’d like to look at in this post, regardless of whether we are considering God’s plans or God’s purposes, is the question of if we can mess up bad enough that we don’t enter into them?  Or to put it another way, can we be out of alignment with His plans and purposes for us?

In a way, it would be easy to avoid the question entirely and just highlight examples of people who live out God’s plans in obvious and impactful ways.  For example, I could look at David:  “Now when David had served God’s purpose in his own generation, he fell asleep; he was buried with his ancestors and his body decayed” (Acts 13:36).  

But only highlighting the good examples doesn’t give the full picture.  We do have examples of people who fought against God’s plans and purposes.  Take the Pharisees, for example:  “but the Pharisees and the lawyers rejected the purpose of God for themselves…” (Luke 7:30)

A passage I recently ran across seems to indicate that we can mess up without overtly rejecting God’s purposes as the Pharisees did.  In Psalm 106 we find this:  “But they soon forgot what he had done and did not wait for his plan to unfold.” (v.13)

On the surface, it kind of looks like it could have been an innocent endeavor.  The people perhaps just moved forward without waiting for God to work out His plans.  But the rest of Psalm 106 describes disobedience, stubbornness, grumblings and giving in to their cravings.  Then, when you take into account the punishment for their actions and attitudes, you know that it was far from innocent.

But back to my question:  can we mess up bad enough so that we don’t enter into His plans for us?  Or, can be be out of alignment with them?  While I think there is evidence that we can, I’m not really sure that I can say so with certainty.  But I will say that I’d prefer to not find the answers from the school of hard knocks or maybe by hitting too many potholes on the highway of life and getting my steering out of alignment!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can't Get No Satisfaction

One of the songs that were popular in my youth was not particularly upbeat or helpful but it probably did express some of the angst of my generation.  It was not one that particularly resonated with me but as I recently read the book of Haggai, it did come to mind, well, at least some of the lyrics did.  It was the Rolling Stones song with the lyrics “I can’t get no satisfaction”.  Take a look at the chorus of that bleak song:   I can't get no satisfaction; I can't get no satisfaction; Gonna try and I try and I try and I try; I can't get no - I can't get no –   Now take a look at Haggai 1:6 – “ You have planted much, but harvested little. You eat, but never have enough. You drink, but never have your fill. You put on clothes, but are not warm. You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it.” It sure sounds like the people of Judah couldn’t get any satisfaction with the things of life that normally should have brought some type of s...

Hide Not...

Over the centuries, the words have brought great comfort and encouragement.   The words are often used as a benediction or a blessing:   The Lord bless you and keep you: The Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you: The Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace.   (Num 6:24-26)   What in the world is a countenance?  By definition, it is a person's face or facial expression. So if the Lord’s face shines upon us and if He lifts up His countenance upon us, what does all that mean? It means that He is giving us His attention.  But even more so, His face shining upon us gives us t he picture of a beaming face like that of a parent for their beloved child.  And the reference to Him lifting up His countenance points to God extending divine favor and peace to us. Sometimes we can appreciate things more by seeing opposites.  The opposite of a lifted face is a face that has fallen, perhaps because of sham...

The Fewer, the Better and the Simpler, the Better!

Sometimes, the fewer the words, the better…  Many would probably argue that the most important words in the English language, when strung altogether in the right order, are just three simple words.  And each of those three words is just a one syllable word.  So, not only the fewer the better but also, as a bonus, the simpler, the better! Oh, the three words…they are “I love you” – few, simple and altogether meaningful!      God used them to encourage His people, the people of Israel :  “You are priceless to me. I love you and honor you. So I will trade other people for you. I will give up other nations to save your lives.” (Isa 43:4) The significance of the words “I love you” is inestimable, especially when used in a way that communicates value and commitment And when you look at Jeremiah 31:3, you see a past tense of those words so that “I love you” is “I have loved you”.  But that’s not all that the verse says, the “I have loved y...