Skip to main content

Cloaked in Mystery?

Leadership transitions are often couched in sports terms such as passing the baton.

Sometimes such transitions go smoothly, the outgoing leader has everything in order and the new leader is prepared to lead.  The baton is passed smoothly and the race continues.

Sometimes such transitions are not so smooth.  The outgoing leader might have to abruptly leave and/or the new leader may not be as prepared as people would like.  The baton is sometimes dropped or the handoff is handled clumsily and the race is impacted.

See which of the following might fit the above two scenarios:

1.  So Elijah went from there and found Elisha son of Shaphat. He was plowing with twelve yoke of oxen, and he himself was driving the twelfth pair. Elijah went up to him and threw his cloak around him. (Ki 19:19)

2.  And they went up Mount Hor in the sight of all the congregation.  And Moses stripped Aaron of his garments and put them on Eleazar his son. And Aaron died there on the top of the mountain. (Num 20:27-28)

When Elijah threw his cloak on Elisha, he was symbolically designating him as his heir apparent.  The account later indicates that God confirmed Elisha as Elijah’s replacement when He worked the same miracle through Elisha that He had worked through Elijah.  No mystery here.  The baton was passed smoothly.  The prophetic line continued. 

It was very different with Aaron.  Moses stripped Aaron of his priestly garments and placed them on Eleazar who did serve as priest so the priestly line continued.  But part of the consequences of Aaron’s earlier rebellion was that He had to be removed as priest and he was not allowed to place his garments on his son.  The passing of the baton was anything but smooth.    

You might think, well who cares about all this?  I’m not an Old Testament prophet or priest who is going about selecting an heir apparent.

But it does matter!  Every one of us should be modeling 2 Timothy 2:2 in entrusting things to faithful men who will be able to entrust things to other faithful men.  This word “entrust” is translated in other versions as commit, deposit, deliver, share and pass.  It is figuratively putting our cloak on others so that they can do the same.

On the other hand, if we have to be figuratively stripped of our garments, it could be that we’ve been rebelling against God. 

I’m definitely thinking the cloak route is the way to go! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can't Get No Satisfaction

One of the songs that were popular in my youth was not particularly upbeat or helpful but it probably did express some of the angst of my generation.  It was not one that particularly resonated with me but as I recently read the book of Haggai, it did come to mind, well, at least some of the lyrics did.  It was the Rolling Stones song with the lyrics “I can’t get no satisfaction”.  Take a look at the chorus of that bleak song:   I can't get no satisfaction; I can't get no satisfaction; Gonna try and I try and I try and I try; I can't get no - I can't get no –   Now take a look at Haggai 1:6 – “ You have planted much, but harvested little. You eat, but never have enough. You drink, but never have your fill. You put on clothes, but are not warm. You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it.” It sure sounds like the people of Judah couldn’t get any satisfaction with the things of life that normally should have brought some type of s...

Hide Not...

Over the centuries, the words have brought great comfort and encouragement.   The words are often used as a benediction or a blessing:   The Lord bless you and keep you: The Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you: The Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace.   (Num 6:24-26)   What in the world is a countenance?  By definition, it is a person's face or facial expression. So if the Lord’s face shines upon us and if He lifts up His countenance upon us, what does all that mean? It means that He is giving us His attention.  But even more so, His face shining upon us gives us t he picture of a beaming face like that of a parent for their beloved child.  And the reference to Him lifting up His countenance points to God extending divine favor and peace to us. Sometimes we can appreciate things more by seeing opposites.  The opposite of a lifted face is a face that has fallen, perhaps because of sham...

The Fewer, the Better and the Simpler, the Better!

Sometimes, the fewer the words, the better…  Many would probably argue that the most important words in the English language, when strung altogether in the right order, are just three simple words.  And each of those three words is just a one syllable word.  So, not only the fewer the better but also, as a bonus, the simpler, the better! Oh, the three words…they are “I love you” – few, simple and altogether meaningful!      God used them to encourage His people, the people of Israel :  “You are priceless to me. I love you and honor you. So I will trade other people for you. I will give up other nations to save your lives.” (Isa 43:4) The significance of the words “I love you” is inestimable, especially when used in a way that communicates value and commitment And when you look at Jeremiah 31:3, you see a past tense of those words so that “I love you” is “I have loved you”.  But that’s not all that the verse says, the “I have loved y...