Skip to main content

Make It Your Covenant!

Covenants?  Hmm, sounds way too restrictive! 

A covenant, just to be clear, is a solemn and binding agreement.

So who really wants to be bound to something? 

There are covenants in some neighborhoods.  You enter into such by being part of a HOA or Homeowner’s Association.  Such are designed to keep the neighborhood looking nice.  That can be a good thing.

A marriage involves a covenant, or at least that’s how it used to be viewed.  In fact, some marriage ceremonies still use wording that indicates that the couple is entering into a covenant of marriage.  This is the “through thick and thin, till death do us part” covenant stuff.  That can be a good thing. 

Would you say about a covenant that involves things of incredible value?  Would that be a good thing? 

See what covenant some people of old made to bind themselves to that which they believed had value well beyond what you could ever imagine:

“And they entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and with all their soul.”  (2 Chr 15:12)

You might wonder where is this incredible value?

Consider the following:

“God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us.”  (Acts 17:27)

“I sought the Lord, and he answered me; He delivered me from all my fears.”  (Ps 34:4)

“The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him.” (Lam 3:25)

“Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.”  (Matt 6:31-33)

Read those verses again. Let them wash over you.  Things are of incredible value are mentioned and they are, as the saying goes, just scratching the surface.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worth, Worthy and the Opposite

After reading in the Psalms recently, I was struck by the concept of worth, well, actually worthlessness.   For example, in Psalm 101 we find this:   “I will not set before my eyes anything that is worthless (v.3).”   And, in Psalm 119:   “Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things; and give me life in your ways (v. 37).” In order to consider what is worthless, we should consider what has worth.  To that, the Bible speaks clearly:  “Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing!” (Rev 5:12)   If worth is measured by power, wealth, wisdom, might, honor, glory and blessing, which are all pretty good measurements, then the One who has infinite worth is Jesus, the Lamb that was slain.  And if we want to consider what it worthless, it is probably the opposite of all those things.  But perhaps it would still be good to define some words: Worth :   the value of something measured by its qualities or by the esteem

New Year Trash or Treasure?

You probably know the old saying:  “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure”.  I am not going to try to prove or disprove it, just look at it from a different angle. Cheryl and I were recently walking on a beach in Florida .  A man was walking along with a bag and was picking up trash and putting it in the bag.  Was he picking up things of value? We also saw a different man walking along the same beach with a metal detector.  He would swing it back and forth and would occasionally stop and dig in the sand.  Was he looking for things of value? Both were intent.  Both were focused.  Both were diligent. I’m guessing that the one picking up trash was not looking for things of value.  I’m also guessing that, by picking up trash, he was valuing the beauty of the beach and didn’t want the trash to mar it.  The one with the metal detector, I’m guessing that he was not looking for metallic items of trash but was looking for metallic items of value that were lost or inadve

Don't Get Tripped Up

I do enjoy traveling and I keep an eye out for good prices. I also enjoy looking at trends in travel. For a while, the travel industry focused their advertising on taking those trips that might be on your bucket list.   That faded a bit and I started seeing ads about taking the trip of a lifetime. I guess both those campaigns have been waning since I’ve been seeing information about taking an “epic” trip.   Recently I noticed the phrase “unforgettable trip” in advertising.   More recently, I’ve been seeing promotions about taking “sustainable” trips and even “reconnecting to our roots” trips. As I’ve been pondering these advertising campaigns, I thought I’d consider what their ideas encompass and then look at them from a spiritual perspective: 1.   “ Bucket list trips ” are based on a list of the experiences a person might hope to have before they “kick the bucket” (i.e. die).   While I can certainly come up with a bucket list of trips, I’m thinking a bucket list of spiritual e