Skip to main content

Where I Want To Be From!

In my last post, I wrote about a city where I would like to be from.  It’s this one:

“The circumference of the city will be 6 miles.  The name of the city from that day forward will be: ‘The Lord Is There.’”  (Ezekiel 48:35)

You might wonder, why would a specific city be named “The Lord is There”?  Does this mean that the city is the only place where the Lord is? 

Many theologians believe that the Bible teaches that God is everywhere (omnipresent).  And, based on the following verses, you can see why they have come to that conclusion:

 

  • Can a man hide himself in hiding places so I do not see him?” declares the Lord. “Do I not fill the heavens and the earth?” declares the Lord.  (Jer 23:24)

 

  • But will God indeed dwell on the earth?  Behold, heaven and the highest heaven cannot contain You, how much less this house which I have built!  (1 Ki 8:27)

 

  • Know therefore today, and lay it to your heart, that the Lord is God in heaven above and on the earth beneath; there is no other.  (Deut 4:39)

 

  • Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there! If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me.  (Ps 139:7-10)

 

Assuming God is omnipresent or everywhere, why then would this city be named “The Lord is There”?

Many believe that while the Bible teaches that God is omnipresence, it also teaches about the manifest presence of God.  In the Old Testament, God manifested His presence at times by being in the tabernacle or the temple.   The incarnation is an example of the manifest presence of God in the person of Jesus. 

In the book of Revelation, there is a verse that seems to encapsulate the manifest presence of God and how we will experience it:

And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God.  (Rev 21:3)

“The Lord is There”, it’s not just a city’s random name that has no significance or meaning.  On the contrary, one day God will manifest His presence with us and will dwell with us in this great city.  It will be a reality that we will experience and enjoy for all eternity!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can't Get No Satisfaction

One of the songs that were popular in my youth was not particularly upbeat or helpful but it probably did express some of the angst of my generation.  It was not one that particularly resonated with me but as I recently read the book of Haggai, it did come to mind, well, at least some of the lyrics did.  It was the Rolling Stones song with the lyrics “I can’t get no satisfaction”.  Take a look at the chorus of that bleak song:   I can't get no satisfaction; I can't get no satisfaction; Gonna try and I try and I try and I try; I can't get no - I can't get no –   Now take a look at Haggai 1:6 – “ You have planted much, but harvested little. You eat, but never have enough. You drink, but never have your fill. You put on clothes, but are not warm. You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it.” It sure sounds like the people of Judah couldn’t get any satisfaction with the things of life that normally should have brought some type of s...

Hide Not...

Over the centuries, the words have brought great comfort and encouragement.   The words are often used as a benediction or a blessing:   The Lord bless you and keep you: The Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you: The Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace.   (Num 6:24-26)   What in the world is a countenance?  By definition, it is a person's face or facial expression. So if the Lord’s face shines upon us and if He lifts up His countenance upon us, what does all that mean? It means that He is giving us His attention.  But even more so, His face shining upon us gives us t he picture of a beaming face like that of a parent for their beloved child.  And the reference to Him lifting up His countenance points to God extending divine favor and peace to us. Sometimes we can appreciate things more by seeing opposites.  The opposite of a lifted face is a face that has fallen, perhaps because of sham...

The Fewer, the Better and the Simpler, the Better!

Sometimes, the fewer the words, the better…  Many would probably argue that the most important words in the English language, when strung altogether in the right order, are just three simple words.  And each of those three words is just a one syllable word.  So, not only the fewer the better but also, as a bonus, the simpler, the better! Oh, the three words…they are “I love you” – few, simple and altogether meaningful!      God used them to encourage His people, the people of Israel :  “You are priceless to me. I love you and honor you. So I will trade other people for you. I will give up other nations to save your lives.” (Isa 43:4) The significance of the words “I love you” is inestimable, especially when used in a way that communicates value and commitment And when you look at Jeremiah 31:3, you see a past tense of those words so that “I love you” is “I have loved you”.  But that’s not all that the verse says, the “I have loved y...