Skip to main content

Seeking God and the Five "W's"

In journalism, the “Five 'W's” help journalists address fundamental questions that should be answered in a story for the benefit of the reader or viewer.  These “Five W’s” are “Who,” “What,” “When,” “Where,” and “Why.”.    

I was recently reading in John 4 about the type of worshippers that God seeks (v23).  While the type of worshippers is a topic for another day, a question came to mind:  if God is seeking worshippers, should worshippers also be seeking God?  To try to answer that, I applied the five “W’s to the phrases “seek the Lord” and “seek Him”:


“That the rest of mankind may seek the Lord, even all the Gentiles who bear my name,” says the Lord, who does these things.  (Acts 15:17)

The “who” seems to be both us (mankind) and God (the One we should seek).

 

“Then I turned my face to the Lord God, seeking him by prayer and pleas for mercy with fasting and sackcloth and ashes.” (Dan 9:3)

The “what” seems to be that we turn our face (our focus) toward the one we should seek (God).  We also seek what we need from Him (mercy), we seek it with an appropriate posture (humble pleading accompanied by fasting) and we do it using an appropriate process (prayer).

 

“Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually!”  (Isa 55:6)

The “when” seems to be that we should seek the Lord continually!

 

“But from there you will seek the Lord your God and you will find him, if you search after him with all your heart and with all your soul.”  (Deut 4:29)

The “where” seems to be from wherever we are in life and from there we seek Him.

 

“And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.”  (Heb 11:6)

The “why” seems to be that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him.

 

Perhaps these five “W’s” of seeking the Lord are best modeled by David who was known as a man after God’s heart.  He wrote the following:  “One thing have I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in his temple.”  (Ps 27:4) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can't Get No Satisfaction

One of the songs that were popular in my youth was not particularly upbeat or helpful but it probably did express some of the angst of my generation.  It was not one that particularly resonated with me but as I recently read the book of Haggai, it did come to mind, well, at least some of the lyrics did.  It was the Rolling Stones song with the lyrics “I can’t get no satisfaction”.  Take a look at the chorus of that bleak song:   I can't get no satisfaction; I can't get no satisfaction; Gonna try and I try and I try and I try; I can't get no - I can't get no –   Now take a look at Haggai 1:6 – “ You have planted much, but harvested little. You eat, but never have enough. You drink, but never have your fill. You put on clothes, but are not warm. You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it.” It sure sounds like the people of Judah couldn’t get any satisfaction with the things of life that normally should have brought some type of s...

Hide Not...

Over the centuries, the words have brought great comfort and encouragement.   The words are often used as a benediction or a blessing:   The Lord bless you and keep you: The Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you: The Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace.   (Num 6:24-26)   What in the world is a countenance?  By definition, it is a person's face or facial expression. So if the Lord’s face shines upon us and if He lifts up His countenance upon us, what does all that mean? It means that He is giving us His attention.  But even more so, His face shining upon us gives us t he picture of a beaming face like that of a parent for their beloved child.  And the reference to Him lifting up His countenance points to God extending divine favor and peace to us. Sometimes we can appreciate things more by seeing opposites.  The opposite of a lifted face is a face that has fallen, perhaps because of sham...

Stouthearted!

Steve the Stouthearted; it has a nice medieval ring to it, maybe even middle earth overtones.  I noticed that word “stouthearted” recently in Psalm 138, verse 3:   “When I called, you answered me; you made me bold and stouthearted.”   (NIV, 1973) The word stouthearted is used in the Bible to describe individuals who exhibit courage, determination, and resilience, often in the face of adversity or opposition. This characteristic is seen as a virtue, reflecting steadfastness in faith and purpose. The stouthearted are those who remain firm in their convictions and are not easily swayed by fear or doubt (from The Bible Hub website). And yet to be bold and stouthearted for most is not something that just comes naturally, we need the Lord to make us bold and stouthearted.   And, from the verse above, it appears that he does so in response to us calling on him.   So it probably wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to say that those who have been made bold and stouth...