Skip to main content

Wings of Refuge

Wings are a popular food item these days. There are even restaurants where wings are the featured menu item.  Or, if you prefer to cook your own, one cooking web site has 23 best recipes for wings.  And if that isn’t enough, another site has 30.  But neither come close to one web site that has 160 ways to cook them!

As one allergic to chicken, I can’t say that I get excited about any of that.  But, I can say that I do get excited about God’s wings!  Ok, so God probably doesn’t really have wings but He does describe how He cares for us using some word pictures that involve wings.  For example:

“He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler.”  (Ps 91:4)

Birds take their vulnerable hatchlings under their wings to shelter and protect them.  Being under God’s wings is a picture of God providing protective refuge, shelter and defense for us.  Then there’s this verse:

“How precious is your steadfast love, O God!  The children of mankind take refuge in the shadow of your wings.”  (Ps. 36:7)

When we take refuge in the shadow of His wings, we are protected from the elements.  But it’s not something that we always naturally do.  This next verse indicates that God sometimes takes the initiative for our sake and for our benefit:

“You yourselves have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles' wings and brought you to myself.” (Ex 19:4)

Adult eagles fly beneath their fledgling eagles to assist them in flight.  By flying beneath them, the fledglings might, if necessary, settle on the wings or on the back of the adult eagle.  In a similar way, God bears us up when we stumble or fall.  But sometimes just stumbling and falling are the least of our worries if we are faced with total destruction as the Psalmist was:

“Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in you my soul takes refuge; in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge, till the storms of destruction pass by.”  (Ps. 57:1)

Whether we need protection, refuge, defense or help when we stumble or even if we face destruction, being in the shadow of his wings is really the best place to be!

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worth, Worthy and the Opposite

After reading in the Psalms recently, I was struck by the concept of worth, well, actually worthlessness.   For example, in Psalm 101 we find this:   “I will not set before my eyes anything that is worthless (v.3).”   And, in Psalm 119:   “Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things; and give me life in your ways (v. 37).” In order to consider what is worthless, we should consider what has worth.  To that, the Bible speaks clearly:  “Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing!” (Rev 5:12)   If worth is measured by power, wealth, wisdom, might, honor, glory and blessing, which are all pretty good measurements, then the One who has infinite worth is Jesus, the Lamb that was slain.  And if we want to consider what it worthless, it is probably the opposite of all those things.  But perhaps it would still be good to define some words: Worth :   the value of something measured by its qualities or by the esteem

New Year Trash or Treasure?

You probably know the old saying:  “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure”.  I am not going to try to prove or disprove it, just look at it from a different angle. Cheryl and I were recently walking on a beach in Florida .  A man was walking along with a bag and was picking up trash and putting it in the bag.  Was he picking up things of value? We also saw a different man walking along the same beach with a metal detector.  He would swing it back and forth and would occasionally stop and dig in the sand.  Was he looking for things of value? Both were intent.  Both were focused.  Both were diligent. I’m guessing that the one picking up trash was not looking for things of value.  I’m also guessing that, by picking up trash, he was valuing the beauty of the beach and didn’t want the trash to mar it.  The one with the metal detector, I’m guessing that he was not looking for metallic items of trash but was looking for metallic items of value that were lost or inadve

Don't Get Tripped Up

I do enjoy traveling and I keep an eye out for good prices. I also enjoy looking at trends in travel. For a while, the travel industry focused their advertising on taking those trips that might be on your bucket list.   That faded a bit and I started seeing ads about taking the trip of a lifetime. I guess both those campaigns have been waning since I’ve been seeing information about taking an “epic” trip.   Recently I noticed the phrase “unforgettable trip” in advertising.   More recently, I’ve been seeing promotions about taking “sustainable” trips and even “reconnecting to our roots” trips. As I’ve been pondering these advertising campaigns, I thought I’d consider what their ideas encompass and then look at them from a spiritual perspective: 1.   “ Bucket list trips ” are based on a list of the experiences a person might hope to have before they “kick the bucket” (i.e. die).   While I can certainly come up with a bucket list of trips, I’m thinking a bucket list of spiritual e