Skip to main content

Real Worth

Worth – the value of something measured by its qualities or by the esteem in which it is held.

Consider what the Bible has to say about what has real worth:

“What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage that I may gain Christ.” (Phil 3:8)

The worth of knowing Christ surpasses all else.  In fact, everything else should be considered as loss. 

Worthy - having sufficient worth or importance; having or showing the qualities or abilities that merit recognition in a specified way.

To find out what is truly worthy, we should look at God, who is the epitome of worthy:

“Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created.”  (Rev 4:11)

Only God alone is worthy to receive all glory and honor and power.   

Unworthy - not deserving effort, attention, or respect.

In our humanness, with all our faults and weakness and inadequacies, we are unworthy because of who we are and what we do:

“John answered them all, saying, ‘“I baptize you with water, but he who is mightier than I is coming, the strap of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.’”  (Luke 3:16)

 “For I am the least of the apostles, unworthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.”  (1 Cor 15:9)

The reality is that our situation is actually more dire that the word “unworthy” communicates.  According to the book of Roman, we once were:

·         Powerless (5:6)

·         Sinners (5:8)

·         God’s enemies (5:10).

The solution for each is exactly the same:  Christ died for us!

The wonderful irony of being unworthy is that Christ’s sacrificial death for us demonstrates that in His eyes, we are worth dying for!

Comments