Skip to main content

Don't Be Untethered!

When I was elementary school, we often played tether ball at recess.  The game is played with a ball that is attached to a rope which, in turn, is attached to the top of a pole.  The object of the game is for two players to hit the ball in opposite direction to the other and the winner is the one to cause it (the rope and ball) to wrap itself around the pole to the point in which the ball touches the pole. 

One time, while I was playing, the rope broke and the ball went flying.  As we stood watching it, wondering what in the world we were going to do, we realized it was “game over!”

The memory of playing tether ball was recently stirred when I heard the phrase “untethered from the Gospel”.  It also prompted me to look up the word tether and I found that it means to be connected to, joined to, or tied to.

As I scrolled through more definitions, I found that a tether is also an attachment that characteristically anchors something movable to something fixed.

Perhaps more relevant to younger people today is the definition pertaining to the world of technology:  tethering is the practice of using a mobile device (such as a smart phone) as a modem to connect another device, such as a laptop or another mobile phone to the internet

While tether is probably not a word commonly found in the Bible, it can point us to an important spiritual concept:  “But whoever is joined to the Lord becomes one with him in spirit.”  (1 Cor 6:17)

We should be tethered to the Lord, as in joined to Him, in order that we can become one with Him in spirit.  In addition, we should be constantly connected to Him.  Our very lives, in fact, should be tied up in Him.

Furthermore, since we are, by nature, movable, we should be tethered to something that is steadfast (fixed and immovable):  “May the Lord direct your hearts to the love of God and to the steadfastness of Christ.”  (2 Thess 3:5)

Another way of looking at this is to think of it all in the opposite as in untethered as in being disconnected or disjoined or untied and those are places you never want to be!

So, tether yourself to the Lord and be one with Him in spirit.

And don’t be untethered from the Gospel!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can't Get No Satisfaction

One of the songs that were popular in my youth was not particularly upbeat or helpful but it probably did express some of the angst of my generation.  It was not one that particularly resonated with me but as I recently read the book of Haggai, it did come to mind, well, at least some of the lyrics did.  It was the Rolling Stones song with the lyrics “I can’t get no satisfaction”.  Take a look at the chorus of that bleak song:   I can't get no satisfaction; I can't get no satisfaction; Gonna try and I try and I try and I try; I can't get no - I can't get no –   Now take a look at Haggai 1:6 – “ You have planted much, but harvested little. You eat, but never have enough. You drink, but never have your fill. You put on clothes, but are not warm. You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it.” It sure sounds like the people of Judah couldn’t get any satisfaction with the things of life that normally should have brought some type of s...

Hide Not...

Over the centuries, the words have brought great comfort and encouragement.   The words are often used as a benediction or a blessing:   The Lord bless you and keep you: The Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you: The Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace.   (Num 6:24-26)   What in the world is a countenance?  By definition, it is a person's face or facial expression. So if the Lord’s face shines upon us and if He lifts up His countenance upon us, what does all that mean? It means that He is giving us His attention.  But even more so, His face shining upon us gives us t he picture of a beaming face like that of a parent for their beloved child.  And the reference to Him lifting up His countenance points to God extending divine favor and peace to us. Sometimes we can appreciate things more by seeing opposites.  The opposite of a lifted face is a face that has fallen, perhaps because of sham...

Stouthearted!

Steve the Stouthearted; it has a nice medieval ring to it, maybe even middle earth overtones.  I noticed that word “stouthearted” recently in Psalm 138, verse 3:   “When I called, you answered me; you made me bold and stouthearted.”   (NIV, 1973) The word stouthearted is used in the Bible to describe individuals who exhibit courage, determination, and resilience, often in the face of adversity or opposition. This characteristic is seen as a virtue, reflecting steadfastness in faith and purpose. The stouthearted are those who remain firm in their convictions and are not easily swayed by fear or doubt (from The Bible Hub website). And yet to be bold and stouthearted for most is not something that just comes naturally, we need the Lord to make us bold and stouthearted.   And, from the verse above, it appears that he does so in response to us calling on him.   So it probably wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to say that those who have been made bold and stouth...