Skip to main content

Boldly Speak, Boldly Come

It was a tenuous position to be in but it didn’t deter him…

Then Abraham spoke up again: “Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, though I am nothing but dust and ashes,” (Gen 18:27)

Abraham recognized that he, as a man, made up of nothing but dust and ashes, was speaking to the Almighty God and he did not know how his words would be received.

Other translations use similar, but slightly different words, for the phrase “I have been so bold to speak”.  Such wording might give us further glimpses into how tenuous Abraham’s position might have been:

Since I have ventured to speak;

for daring to speak to you like this;

I have been brave to speak;

I may be so bold as to ask you;

I dare open my mouth;


Before Abraham spoke so boldly, the Lord had indicated that He would allow Abraham to know what He was about to do in judgment against the wicked in Sodom (Gen 18:17).  The account doesn’t, however, seem to give any indicators that permission was being given for Abraham to speak.

It’s interesting that while we can now look back and see that Abraham’s boldness placed him in a tenuous position, we are not now placed so similarly.  In fact, we can actually come boldly before God:  “Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.”  (Heb 4:16)

So what changed?  Certainly, we are just like Abraham in that we are nothing but dust and ashes. 

What changed is that the Son of God took on the very dust and ashes of human flesh and became our great High Priest.  In His priestly role of offering a sacrifice for sins, He sacrificed Himself to take care of our sins once for all (Heb 9:14).  And not only that, but Jesus, as our great High Priest gave us access to the throne of grace (Heb 4:14-15). 

I really appreciate the way Hebrews 4:16 is translated in the Amplified Bible, Classic Edition:  “Let us then fearlessly and confidently and boldly draw near to the throne of grace (the throne of God’s unmerited favor to us sinners), that we may receive mercy [for our failures] and find grace to help in good time for every need [appropriate help and well-timed help, coming just when we need it].”

I don’t know about you, but I am painfully aware that I’m a sinner who is often in need of unmerited favor and I am so grateful that I can fearlessly and confidently and boldly come to the throne of grace to receive mercy for my failures and find grace to help in time of need! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can't Get No Satisfaction

One of the songs that were popular in my youth was not particularly upbeat or helpful but it probably did express some of the angst of my generation.  It was not one that particularly resonated with me but as I recently read the book of Haggai, it did come to mind, well, at least some of the lyrics did.  It was the Rolling Stones song with the lyrics “I can’t get no satisfaction”.  Take a look at the chorus of that bleak song:   I can't get no satisfaction; I can't get no satisfaction; Gonna try and I try and I try and I try; I can't get no - I can't get no –   Now take a look at Haggai 1:6 – “ You have planted much, but harvested little. You eat, but never have enough. You drink, but never have your fill. You put on clothes, but are not warm. You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it.” It sure sounds like the people of Judah couldn’t get any satisfaction with the things of life that normally should have brought some type of s...

Hide Not...

Over the centuries, the words have brought great comfort and encouragement.   The words are often used as a benediction or a blessing:   The Lord bless you and keep you: The Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you: The Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace.   (Num 6:24-26)   What in the world is a countenance?  By definition, it is a person's face or facial expression. So if the Lord’s face shines upon us and if He lifts up His countenance upon us, what does all that mean? It means that He is giving us His attention.  But even more so, His face shining upon us gives us t he picture of a beaming face like that of a parent for their beloved child.  And the reference to Him lifting up His countenance points to God extending divine favor and peace to us. Sometimes we can appreciate things more by seeing opposites.  The opposite of a lifted face is a face that has fallen, perhaps because of sham...

Stouthearted!

Steve the Stouthearted; it has a nice medieval ring to it, maybe even middle earth overtones.  I noticed that word “stouthearted” recently in Psalm 138, verse 3:   “When I called, you answered me; you made me bold and stouthearted.”   (NIV, 1973) The word stouthearted is used in the Bible to describe individuals who exhibit courage, determination, and resilience, often in the face of adversity or opposition. This characteristic is seen as a virtue, reflecting steadfastness in faith and purpose. The stouthearted are those who remain firm in their convictions and are not easily swayed by fear or doubt (from The Bible Hub website). And yet to be bold and stouthearted for most is not something that just comes naturally, we need the Lord to make us bold and stouthearted.   And, from the verse above, it appears that he does so in response to us calling on him.   So it probably wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to say that those who have been made bold and stouth...