Skip to main content

Conquer What?

Conquer the water!  It was a campaign at the swimming pool.  I’m guessing that it was an attempt to get people, who are afraid of water, to learn to swim.  But the issue is really not about conquering the water; it’s about conquering our fear of the water.

Yet the campaign has a certain appeal to it.  If you are afraid of water, it’s probably easier to focus on conquering something you can see and touch (the water) as opposed to conquering something you can’t see and touch (your fear).

And conquering something does resonate with many.  The familiar usage of the word “conquer” is gain or acquire by force of arms.  Another aspect of conquering is to gain mastery over by overcoming obstacles or opposition.  It can also mean to overcome by mental or moral power. 

Given that conquering something has an attractive element to it, there’s a verse in Romans that seems to be the key to conquering anything and everything:

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.”  (Rom 8:37)

We’d probably jump at the chance to be able to appropriate something that would allow us to conquer anything and everything.  But, I don’t think the verse above is designed to offer such resources.  And the previous verses provide context that indicates what we actually are to be conquering:

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?  Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written:  “For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.” (Rom 8:35-36)

From my reading of the passage, we don’t conquer the hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword; we conquer the fear of what those things might do to us and that fear is that we could be separated from the love of Christ.  And we conquer that fear by believing that absolutely nothing can separate us from the love of Christ because nothing can diminish or change or negate His love for us.

It’s not the water that we conquer; we conquer our fear of the water.

It’s not the things that we think can separate us from the love of God that we conquer; we conquer our fear of being separated from God.  And that conquering requires faith not a force of arms! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Year Trash or Treasure?

You probably know the old saying:  “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure”.  I am not going to try to prove or disprove it, just look at it from a different angle. Cheryl and I were recently walking on a beach in Florida .  A man was walking along with a bag and was picking up trash and putting it in the bag.  Was he picking up things of value? We also saw a different man walking along the same beach with a metal detector.  He would swing it back and forth and would occasionally stop and dig in the sand.  Was he looking for things of value? Both were intent.  Both were focused.  Both were diligent. I’m guessing that the one picking up trash was not looking for things of value.  I’m also guessing that, by picking up trash, he was valuing the beauty of the beach and didn’t want the trash to mar it.  The one with the metal detector, I’m guessing that he was not looking for metallic items of trash but was looking for metallic items of value that were lost or inadve

Don't Get Tripped Up

I do enjoy traveling and I keep an eye out for good prices. I also enjoy looking at trends in travel. For a while, the travel industry focused their advertising on taking those trips that might be on your bucket list.   That faded a bit and I started seeing ads about taking the trip of a lifetime. I guess both those campaigns have been waning since I’ve been seeing information about taking an “epic” trip.   Recently I noticed the phrase “unforgettable trip” in advertising.   More recently, I’ve been seeing promotions about taking “sustainable” trips and even “reconnecting to our roots” trips. As I’ve been pondering these advertising campaigns, I thought I’d consider what their ideas encompass and then look at them from a spiritual perspective: 1.   “ Bucket list trips ” are based on a list of the experiences a person might hope to have before they “kick the bucket” (i.e. die).   While I can certainly come up with a bucket list of trips, I’m thinking a bucket list of spiritual e

Above My Pay Grade!

We like things that we can study, know and understand.  Sometimes we find it difficult to accept that there are things that might be hidden from our knowledge and understanding. The Scriptures indicate that there are some things hidden by design:  “The Lord our God keeps certain things hidden. But he makes other things known to us and to our children forever. He does it so we can obey all the words of this law.”  (Deut 29:29) Some versions of the Bible translate the hidden things as “secret things”.  Regardless, there are things which have been revealed and things which are kept hidden from us and remain secret. We may chafe at having to deal with the fact that some things remain hidden, but that’s often when faith and trust come in.  The Psalmist wrote:   “O Lord , my heart is not lifted up, my eyes are not raised too high; I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me.”  (Ps 131:1) The Psalmist seem to realize that there are things just too great and