Skip to main content

Hit the Nail Right on the Head!

I shouldn’t be surprised, but sometimes I am.

I read the Word of God and there’s something there that seems to hit the nail on the head of what I am feeling or going through.  Case in point: I recently read a passage with two words, weary and languishing, and I have to admit that I own them both, albeit reluctantly!

Weary: physically or mentally exhausted by hard work, exertion or strain. 

Languishing:  to lose vitality, weaken, or suffer from being stuck in an unpleasant or neglected state.

I would hazard to guess that many of us have felt that physical weariness.  And I would also guess that a lot of us have felt like they were languishing physically.

But I would suggest that while we can feel those both physically, there are also times when we feel them mentally or even spiritually.  And that’s where Jeremiah 31:25 comes in, the verse where I read those two words:

“For I will satisfy the weary soul, and every languishing soul I will replenish.”

In the context of that verse, it is God who satisfies and replenishes!  No surprise there but what exactly does it mean?

Satisfy is also translated, in some versions, as refresh.  The phrase to satisfy or refresh refers to restoration and renewal.   In addition, it carries the idea of bringing back vitality.  It is something that God does and is not conditioned upon our efforts or merit.

To replenish means to fill up again or to return what has been depleted.  It implies an ongoing supply of fresh strength.  And again, this is something that God does for us.

So, when my soul fees weary, God refreshes it.  When my soul languishes, God provides and ongoing supply of fresh strength.

The Bible Hub summarizes the meaning of the verse this way: “Jeremiah 31:25 offers an unshakable pledge; the Lord Himself steps in to revive inner lives drained by hardship.  He restores, fills and strengthens without partiality, turning weariness into fresh vitality for every believer who leans on Him.”

Wow, that does hit the nail on the head in regard to what I sometimes reluctantly own but more so, it hits the nail on the head as to who it is that can restore, refresh and replenish me.  And yes, it does mean that I need to lean on Him. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can't Get No Satisfaction

One of the songs that were popular in my youth was not particularly upbeat or helpful but it probably did express some of the angst of my generation.  It was not one that particularly resonated with me but as I recently read the book of Haggai, it did come to mind, well, at least some of the lyrics did.  It was the Rolling Stones song with the lyrics “I can’t get no satisfaction”.  Take a look at the chorus of that bleak song:   I can't get no satisfaction; I can't get no satisfaction; Gonna try and I try and I try and I try; I can't get no - I can't get no –   Now take a look at Haggai 1:6 – “ You have planted much, but harvested little. You eat, but never have enough. You drink, but never have your fill. You put on clothes, but are not warm. You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it.” It sure sounds like the people of Judah couldn’t get any satisfaction with the things of life that normally should have brought some type of s...

Hide Not...

Over the centuries, the words have brought great comfort and encouragement.   The words are often used as a benediction or a blessing:   The Lord bless you and keep you: The Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you: The Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace.   (Num 6:24-26)   What in the world is a countenance?  By definition, it is a person's face or facial expression. So if the Lord’s face shines upon us and if He lifts up His countenance upon us, what does all that mean? It means that He is giving us His attention.  But even more so, His face shining upon us gives us t he picture of a beaming face like that of a parent for their beloved child.  And the reference to Him lifting up His countenance points to God extending divine favor and peace to us. Sometimes we can appreciate things more by seeing opposites.  The opposite of a lifted face is a face that has fallen, perhaps because of sham...

The Fewer, the Better and the Simpler, the Better!

Sometimes, the fewer the words, the better…  Many would probably argue that the most important words in the English language, when strung altogether in the right order, are just three simple words.  And each of those three words is just a one syllable word.  So, not only the fewer the better but also, as a bonus, the simpler, the better! Oh, the three words…they are “I love you” – few, simple and altogether meaningful!      God used them to encourage His people, the people of Israel :  “You are priceless to me. I love you and honor you. So I will trade other people for you. I will give up other nations to save your lives.” (Isa 43:4) The significance of the words “I love you” is inestimable, especially when used in a way that communicates value and commitment And when you look at Jeremiah 31:3, you see a past tense of those words so that “I love you” is “I have loved you”.  But that’s not all that the verse says, the “I have loved y...