Maybe some obscure outward expressions still have their place. The one I have in mind is not one we normally see in this day and age. In fact, on the surface, it does not seem to be very important, that is until you do further research!
This one is found in the book of Jeremiah: “For after I had turned away, I relented, and after I was instructed,
I struck my thigh; I was ashamed, and I was confounded, because I bore the
disgrace of my youth.” (Jer 31:19)
Evidently, in ancient Near Eastern societies, striking the thigh was an
expression of deep sorrow and regret.
The physical act symbolized the internal anguish of wrongdoing. In particular, the gesture showed shock over
sin’s ugliness and if it was your own sin, then the gesture might include
repentance. In using today’s wording, it
obviously wasn’t just an “oops” or “my bad”!
In the context of the verse in Jeremiah, it was about the journey of the
nation of Israel. The journey was more
than a bit challenging since it included rebellion, experiencing shame,
grieving over sin, returning, repenting, restoration and receiving instruction. Unfortunately, such a journey was often repeated
by Israel.
Yet in each occasion, there was also a story of a Father who called them
back, forgave them, cleansed them, restored them and gave them instruction in
the way they should go.
So, in that context, the prophet’s striking of his thigh showed a profound,
heartfelt repentance. It also showed a realization of needing God’s
grace and mercy.
And then comes verse 20 of Jeremiah 31: “Is Ephraim my dear
son? Is he my darling child? For as often as I speak against him, I do
remember him still. Therefore my heart
yearns for him; I will surely have mercy on him”, declares the Lord.
Instead of meeting their repentance with a cold shoulder and a harsh reminder
of their failures, God responded with a reassurance of His desire for His
people and His promise that He would again have mercy on them.
Maybe it would be good if we were to strike our thighs. This could be done physically or figuratively
to symbolize the internal anguish of the realization of wrongdoing. There should be repentance. And, in the midst of it all that, there also should
be a deeply held belief that God will respond with mercy and forgiveness!
Comments
Post a Comment