Skip to main content

Riding on What?

In many situations, the phrase has negative connotations.  It describes opportunism or a lack of individual effort.  It infers that you are using someone else’s success as a means to achieve your own.  

But the phrase can have some positive elements to it.  It might be that the success you were able to achieve was based on help secured from another person.  

The phrase, in case you haven’t already guessed it, dates back to the 19th century when formal men's jackets had long flaps (tails) in the back.   “Riding on someone’s coattails” - the imagery points to a person literally grabbing onto those fabric flaps to be pulled forward without walking themselves.

In view of a positive element of the phrase, that of achieving something based on help secured from another, there are some significant achievements that we can only access by being dependent on Christ Jesus:

1. We can be redeemed: “And are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.”  (Romans 3:24)

2. We can be justified: “It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be the just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.”  (Romans 3:26)

3. We can be made righteous: “For as by the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man's obedience the many will be made righteous.”  (Romans 5:19) 

4. We can be saved: “Who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began,” (2 Tim 1:9)

5. We can have peace with God: “Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.”  (Rom 5:1)

6. We can have eternal life: “For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”  (Rom 6:23)

7. We can be set free: “For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death.”  (Rom 8:2)

8. We walk in newness of life: “Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.” (Romans 6:3-4)


Verse three of the classic hymn “Immanuel’s Land” communicates our dependency on Christ is this way:  

“Oh! I am my Beloved's, And my Beloved's mine! 

He brings a poor vile sinner Into His house of wine! 

I stand upon His merit, I know no other stand, 

Not even where glory dwelleth, In Immanuel's land.”


The hymn writer chose to use the phrase, “I stand upon His merit”.  We cannot secure any of the items listed above based on our own merit but we can “ride on the coattails” of Jesus Christ and gain them all!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can't Get No Satisfaction

One of the songs that were popular in my youth was not particularly upbeat or helpful but it probably did express some of the angst of my generation.  It was not one that particularly resonated with me but as I recently read the book of Haggai, it did come to mind, well, at least some of the lyrics did.  It was the Rolling Stones song with the lyrics “I can’t get no satisfaction”.  Take a look at the chorus of that bleak song:   I can't get no satisfaction; I can't get no satisfaction; Gonna try and I try and I try and I try; I can't get no - I can't get no –   Now take a look at Haggai 1:6 – “ You have planted much, but harvested little. You eat, but never have enough. You drink, but never have your fill. You put on clothes, but are not warm. You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it.” It sure sounds like the people of Judah couldn’t get any satisfaction with the things of life that normally should have brought some type of s...

Hide Not...

Over the centuries, the words have brought great comfort and encouragement.   The words are often used as a benediction or a blessing:   The Lord bless you and keep you: The Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you: The Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace.   (Num 6:24-26)   What in the world is a countenance?  By definition, it is a person's face or facial expression. So if the Lord’s face shines upon us and if He lifts up His countenance upon us, what does all that mean? It means that He is giving us His attention.  But even more so, His face shining upon us gives us t he picture of a beaming face like that of a parent for their beloved child.  And the reference to Him lifting up His countenance points to God extending divine favor and peace to us. Sometimes we can appreciate things more by seeing opposites.  The opposite of a lifted face is a face that has fallen, perhaps because of sham...

The Fewer, the Better and the Simpler, the Better!

Sometimes, the fewer the words, the better…  Many would probably argue that the most important words in the English language, when strung altogether in the right order, are just three simple words.  And each of those three words is just a one syllable word.  So, not only the fewer the better but also, as a bonus, the simpler, the better! Oh, the three words…they are “I love you” – few, simple and altogether meaningful!      God used them to encourage His people, the people of Israel :  “You are priceless to me. I love you and honor you. So I will trade other people for you. I will give up other nations to save your lives.” (Isa 43:4) The significance of the words “I love you” is inestimable, especially when used in a way that communicates value and commitment And when you look at Jeremiah 31:3, you see a past tense of those words so that “I love you” is “I have loved you”.  But that’s not all that the verse says, the “I have loved y...